Monday, May 2, 2011

Biblical Response to Osama bin Laden's Death

When my wife told me that Osama bin Laden had been killed by U.S. Military in Pakistan, it almost didn't register.  Honestly, I had quit thinking much about him, and assumed that he would die of his various illnesses before the United States government could take vengeance.  My first thought was relief.  I am relived that he can't hurt anyone or construct plots for others to do so either.  I've seen news coverage of many people's reactions, and heard others discuss it today.  Mostly, the responses I hear are celebratory, happy or hateful.

But how does the Bible say I should respond?  The one passage that keeps coming to my mind is from the Old Testament:

Ezekiel 33:11 a:  ...'As I live,' says the Lord GOD, 'I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but that the wicked turn from his way and live. (NKJV)

When I see people cheering and celebrating because Osama bin Laden was killed, it seems this attitude is at odds with God's heart concerning sinners.  In this passage, the prophet Ezekiel gives a warning to the wayward nation of Israel about impending destruction because of sin.  God's utmost desire is not for blood, but love--not punishment, but a relationship.

Please don't misunderstand me.  I do not mourn bin Laden's death, either.  I think that his repentance and obedience to Christ's saving Gospel would have been a much better course of events.  Unfortunately, the Navy SEALs found bin Laden before I could.  While Osama bin Laden's death was probably necessary to save the lives of literally thousands in innocent people, we can hardly read Ezekiel 33:11 and call his killing an "optimal solution." 

To take another turn on this, I wonder how the early Christians felt when Saul of Tarsus came to Christ instead of meeting a bloody end?  We know that initially, many people reacted in amazed disbelief.  We can also read that instead cheering in the streets after his death, they glorified God because of Saul's rebirth:

Galatians 1:22-24:  And I was unknown by face to the churches of Judea which were in Christ.  23  But they were hearing only, "He who formerly persecuted us now preaches the faith which he once tried to destroy."  24  And they glorified God in me. (NKJV)


It's a greater glory to God to convert an enemy into a son, rather than destroy him.  So, in the end, the way I emotionally feel about bin Laden's death is less important than what God's Word teaches on the subject.  Personally, I think that God is neither mourning nor rejoicing; rather, He simply dispenses justice on those who hate Him and grace to those who love Him:


Deuteronomy 5:9-10:  ...You shall not bow down to [false gods] nor serve them. For I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me,  10  but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments. (NKJV)

1 comment:

  1. When I learned of the death of bin Laden, I thought at first, that's good, he can't hurt people anymore. My second thought was how many sons does he have to carry out what he started. But then, I thought we are to love our enemies. How sad that most likely, his soul is damned to hell for all eternity. Emily

    ReplyDelete