Thursday, February 23, 2012

Defying Definition

This post goes out to my brother in Christ, Stanley M.  While visiting the church he attends, he said, "Hey--I've got a bone to pick with you."  I said, "Pick."  Stanley asked, "Don't bloggers blog?"  He had me there.  I was defying the definition of a blogger.  This was Stanley's way of saying that he wanted me to post again, since I hadn't all year.  So thanks, Stanley, for picking a bone with me.

Lately, for me to call myself a blogger would be inaccurate.  I really consider myself a writer, not a blogger, although the two are similar.  A writer is like a blogger who went to college.  Anyway, Stanley's point still stands.  A blogger who does not blog is like a runner who doesn't run--he defies the definition.

This got me to thinking about other definitions, specifically, the definition of a Christian.  The word "christian" in Greek simply means a follower of Christ.  On the surface this seems very simple, but in our Postmodern world, definitions are slippery things that people feel free to make up as it suits them.  This difficulty is compounded by the fact that people have been disagreeing for a long time about what it actually means to follow Christ.

But what does Christ say?  In John's Gospel, Jesus said, "My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me.John 10:27 NKJV.  First, Jesus said His sheep hear His voice.  We know the voice of Jesus through the Word of God, the Bible:  "Jesus answered and said to [Judas (not Iscariot)], "If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him."  John 14:23 NKJV.  It's clear that only those who hear and keep the words of Jesus can claim to be Christians.  It's discouraging that many who are almost totally ignorant of the Bible make this claim, almost as if by default.

Second, Jesus said that He knows His sheep.  This indicates having a legitimate relationship with Him.  Many people know about God, but many do not know God.  I can read a book about George Washington, memorize every fact about him, find him interesting, and even imitate his life and character--and still not know him personally.  The same is true of Jesus.  Knowing Christ requires more.  We need a relationship with Him: "and to give you who are troubled rest with us when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven with His mighty angels, in flaming fire taking vengeance on those who do not know God, and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ.2 Thessalonians 1:7-8 NKJV.  Paul writes here that at the end of time, Jesus will come in judgment against all those who do not know Him; in other words, those who do not obey the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  It takes a commitment, and the humility to approach God on His terms.  The Bible calls these terms the Gospel. 

Finally, Jesus' sheep follow Him.  Many people study God's Word to learn how to have a relationship with Him through Jesus, obey the Gospel of Christ, but fail to truly follow Christ.  Jesus warned in Luke's Gospel:  "Strive to enter through the narrow gate, for many, I say to you, will seek to enter and will not be able. When once the Master of the house has risen up and shut the door, and you begin to stand outside and knock at the door, saying, 'Lord, Lord, open for us,' and He will answer and say to you, 'I do not know you, where you are from,' then you will begin to say, 'We ate and drank in Your presence, and You taught in our streets.' But He will say, 'I tell you I do not know you, where you are from. Depart from Me, all you workers of iniquity." Luke 13:24-27 NKJV.  Being a disciple of Jesus does not mean eating dinner with  Him once and then demanding entry into Heaven!  It's a life of staying loyal and true to Christ, even when doing so becomes difficult or unpopular.  Jesus said that many who desire to follow His path him will be unable to.

If you claim to be one of Christ's sheep, you must fit the definition as given by the inspired writers of the Scripture.  Otherwise, you will be no more a Christian than I am a blogger.

1 comment:

  1. Chris i so enjoyed this and look forward to many more blogs to read. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete