Saturday, August 6, 2011

I will Joy in the God of My Salvation!

It's dry.  I mean, really dry.  I've never seen drought this severe in all my life.  They tell me it hasn't been this hot and dry since the 1930's.  After going for so long without meaningful precipitation, it's easy to give up hope that things will ever change.  I'm thankful in these times that everything in life is temporary--even our problems.  God promises us early on in Scripture that He will not allow Earth's systems to fail permanently:
Then Noah built an altar to the LORD, and took of every clean animal and of every clean bird, and offered burnt offerings on the altar. And the LORD smelled a soothing aroma. Then the LORD said in His heart, "I will never again curse the ground for man's sake, although the imagination of man's heart is evil from his youth; nor will I again destroy every living thing as I have done. "While the earth remains, Seedtime and harvest, Cold and heat, Winter and summer, And day and night Shall not cease."  Genesis 8:20-22 NKJV
God made an unbreakable covenant that He would not curse the ground because of man's sinfulness any longer, even though our nature is evil and rebellious.  While time continues, God will grant planting and harvest times, and the seasons will continue in course.  One bad year out of 100 should not cause us to doubt God's love and provision for us!

As my wife and I watch our grass and garden wither to nothing despite consistent watering, I wonder what the real farmers are experiencing this year.  Will food prices skyrocket?  Will we have an actual famine in America?  We've not seen that in a long, long time.  But, even if that did occur, it must not cause Christians to lose faith or be discouraged.  Listen to the words of the Old Testament prophet, Habakkuk:
Though the fig tree may not blossom, Nor fruit be on the vines; Though the labor of the olive may fail, And the fields yield no food; Though the flock may be cut off from the fold, And there be no herd in the stalls--Yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will joy in the God of my salvation.  Habakkuk 3:17-18 NKJV
Habakkuk describes a complete and total economic breakdown because of famine.  He encourages Israel to have faith despite hardship.  Even though my wife and I didn't grow any cantaloupe or corn, and my dad hasn't harvested much hay, and my father-in-law likely won't make much cotton, we can still take joy in God's eternal provision for us.  Many investments in physical things will not produce as we planned.  But, investing in spiritual things will always bring a harvest we can be thankful for:
Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap. For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption, but he who sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life. And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart.  Galatians 6:7-9 NKJV
So, amid drought and heat, don't grow tired or give up.  God promises a bumper crop of blessing when we place our faith and trust in Him.  God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment